It’s that time of the year again when wine writers across the United States will begin posting and publishing their “Thanksgiving wine recommendations.”
And inevitably, many of them will start their posts with apologetic admissions that Thanksgiving wine pairings are almost impossible to make. That’s because of two major reasons.
1) The classic all-American Thanksgiving feast includes a wide variety of dishes, disparate in flavor. As a result, there’s no “one wine” that goes well with everything on the table.
2) The Thanksgiving gathering is traditionally a family affair where you have all kinds of different people, with different palates and tastes, seated for the same meal. Not everyone likes the same style of wine. For some of your guests, it’s the only time of year that they actually drink wine!
And here’s where Lambrusco comes in. There are a number of reasons why it works well with the Thanksgiving meal.
1) It’s immensely versatile at the table and superbly food-friendly. It will pair well with a lot of the dishes in the traditional Thanksgiving meal.
2) It’s both a crowd-pleaser that inexperienced wine drinkers can enjoy and a classic Italian wine that wine lovers will like.
3) It’s low in alcohol and so guests don’t need to be shy about having more than one glass.
4) It’s one of the sparkling wine world’s most value-driven appellations. This is important when you’re serving wine to a large group.
5) It’s the ultimate celebration wine. Its sparkle is an essential element in any holiday party.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our American friends! In coming weeks, we’ll share more serving and pairing suggestions here on the blog.